The uOttawa French Immersion Studies program offers a unique experience. It gives students the opportunity to pursue part of their university studies in French while receiving individualized support in order to develop competencies in their field and in their second language (French). The program produces graduates who are functional in both official languages and are able to hold a bilingual position or pursue graduate studies in French.
Located in the heart of Ottawa, which is the national capital and an officially bilingual city, the University of Ottawa has been a bilingual institution for more than 150 years. Immersion students have multiple opportunities to learn French in a wonderful cultural context and an innovative learning environment whose efficiency and successfulness has been proven.
Established in 2006, the University of Ottawa French Immersion Studies are designed for Anglophone and Allophone students who wish to pursue part of their university studies in French. Students who have attended high school in a language other than French and have followed a French-as-a-second-language program are eligible. The program is offered in more than 80 programs (in many faculties), and bears a different name depending on the faculty:
Faculty of Arts
Faculty of Health Sciences
Faculty of Social Sciences
Telfer School of Management
Faculty of Engineering
Faculty of Science
Students who meet the French Immersion requirements, in any of those two options, will receive the designation “French Immersion” on their diploma.
French Immersion Studies offer a diversity of support services to students:
Other resources and services
The University of Ottawa offers other services and resources to help students:
- Work placements in Francophone environments as part of the Co-operative Education Program
- The opportunity to study in a Francophone country as part of an international exchange
- The Academic Writing Help Centre (AWHC)
- The possibility of writing your assignments and exams in French or in English in almost all of your classes
- The possibility of volunteering in a Francophone environment
- A student residence geared towards Francophones and Francophiles
- A lounge dedicated to francophone activities and culture: le Carrefour francophone