The uOttawa French Immersion Stream offers a unique experience. It gives students the opportunity to pursue part of their university studies in French while receiving individualized support in order to develop competencies in their field and in their second language, French. Graduates from the French Immersion Stream are able to function in both official languages and are able to hold a bilingual job or pursue graduate studies in French.
Established in 2006, the University of Ottawa French Immersion Stream is designed for Anglophone and Allophone students who wish to pursue part of their university studies in French. Students who have attended high school in a language other than French and have followed a French-as-a-second-language program are eligible. The program is offered in more than 80 programs in the six direct-entry faculties: Arts, Engineering, Health Sciences, Social Sciences, Science and Telfer School of Management.
Students who meet the French Immersion requirements receive the designation “French Immersion” on their diploma.
Our support services
French Immersion Stream offer a diversity of support services to students:
Other resources and services
The University of Ottawa offers other services and resources to help students:
- Work placements in Francophone environments as part of the Co-operative Education Program
- The opportunity to study in a Francophone country as part of an international exchange
- The Academic Writing Help Centre (AWHC)
- The possibility of writing your assignments and exams in French or in English in almost all of your classes
- The possibility of volunteering in a Francophone environment
- A lounge dedicated to francophone activities and culture: le Carrefour francophone